12 Facts & Advice for Psoriasis
Monday, 22 August 2016 12:08:06 Europe/London
As part of Psoriasis Awareness Month, our Skin Experts share their top tips for helping to soothe the symptoms of psoriasis.
- The word Psoriasis can be traced back to ancient Greek roots: ‘psora’ which means to ‘itch’ the ‘sis’ meaning condition.
- Psoriasis manifests itself on the skin in the form of red patches that have a dry, scaly surface. This is caused by a build up of skin cells.
- Psoriasis is not contagious.
- Psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune disease – it occurs when the immune system sends out (faulty) signals that speed up the growth cycle of skin cells. The most common sites of Psoriasis are on the scalp, elbows and knees. External triggers may include stress, respiratory infections, and medications (anti depression drugs, anti-malaria medication and beta blockers).
- Mild or moderate cases of Psoriasis may be effectively treated with medicated steroid creams such as hydrocortisone. However prolonged use of these medications can lead to thinning of the skin, making the skin more sensitive. Please consult your GP.
- Regular use of baths salts such as Epsom Salts can help soothe the skin. These mineral-rich salts help the skin to trap moisture, softening the skin and aiding the break down of the thickened (keratinized) skin.
- Avoid scratching and picking the skin. This includes the use of harsh body scrubs, soaps, and peels these will exasperate, irritate and dry out the skin further.
- Our Suggested Gazelli treatment solution: 90 minute Prescriptive Massage. This treatment focuses on the digestive system to enhance absorption of nutrients and balance emotions. Our healing Gazelli White Oil™ is specifically formulated to heal skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
- Additional 15-30 minute LED Therapy exposure is also an effective healing solution for Psoriasis. LED Therapy is based on the principle that living cells are able to absorb and be influenced by light. This treatment involves exposing the skin to low levels of beneficial light energy, which energises cellular functions and stimulates various cellular processes with therapeutic healing effects. Speak to our resident Skin and Body experts at Gazelli House for further details.
- Eating foods rich in Omegas are said to have strong anti-inflammatory properties. By eating oily fish like salmon regularly, you can help prevent psoriasis symptoms. It’s the oils that help switch off the gene that triggers inflammation in the body.
- Garlic is also said to inhibit the activity of enzymes responsible for soreness, redness and irritation.
- Gazelli White Oil™ has a chemical base structure similar to the structure of our own naturally occurring hormones found in the human body; it works in synergy with the epidermis of the skin to heal and repair, triggering key processes:
- Increases cellular metabolism
- Stimulates cellular renewal
- Stimulates the synthesis of collagen and elastin fibres
- Boosts microcirculation
- Protects the skin from free-radical damage
- Improves the skin’s ability to absorb nutrients and oxygen
- Soothes, nourishes and repairs